I guess I could use it on the smaller dog, but I could not attach the leash to it because he could slip out of it.
All the same, I liked the way it sat on his neck. My dog gets pretty enthusiastic about chasing other dogs and animals and will risk strangling himself by suddenly trying to dart in their direction. This collar however is wider and the way the ring is placed keeps him from hurting himself when he loses his senses and tries to bolt after something. He stays restrained, but the pressure is not around his throat but closer to his shoulders. I'm not surprised about this feature since the company that made it specializes in dog training collars.
Now, since I have two dogs, walking them can be less than exciting. I have to hold onto two leashes, a pooper scooper, a plastic bag, and at night, a flashlight. I have been known to cut corners and leave some of these items behind. Fortunately, having this dog collar eliminated the need for a flashlight. It turns my dog into a flashlight. Press a button on the collar and it glows enough to light my path. If I get nervous about there being a lack of sidewalk where we are walking, I press the collar again and the light flashes alerting to cars that there is an animal and it's master walking on the side of the road. It is quite a relief to have this feature, and to also not have to carry a bulky flashlight when I need both hands to control the dogs and clean up behind them.
So here are my pros and cons about the dog collar:
- Eliminates the need for a flashlight when walking dogs
- Better fit on the dogs neck than the typical collar because of the width of the collar
- The large ring makes it easier to get the dog's leash on his collar
- The smallest size is still a little large for the largest of my Miniature Schnauzers. I'd love to buy one for my other dog, but I don't think I can adjust the collar small enough for him.
- Not fully waterproof (according to the maker) so remove before letting the dog get wet.
I would like to add that my dog has been wearing the collar for two weeks and it is still in like new condition, so it is very durable. I expect it to last a long time.