Is the content writing industry dying? It may be time to adapt

I have been writing content for websites since the year 1999.  I have seen the industry pick up and I have seen it wane.  Right now it seems like it is waning big time. For the past 5 years or so, I have been doing a good chunk of my writing for Associated Content, now Yahoo Contributor Network.  This pasy year, my payments (based on reads) have plummeted.   I only signed on because I felt like as the years went on, my monthly payments have gone up.  However, this is the only industry I have ever worked in where your pay goes down the longer you stick to it. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't turn in the towel.

I feel like the economy is half of the problem.  As more and more people lost their jobs, more and more people became freelance writing.  The market has been over saturated with writers, some who would accept a pittance for their work, and so many of us are low balled in response.   People want to publish our articles, of course, but they don't want to pay us mush.  It is truly distressing.

So what it comes down do is that my writing career may have just had a season.  Fortunately, my writing has led my in a direction that I want to pursue.  I went into writing full time because I became a homeschooling parent, and I am thinking I want to devote more of my time to helping homeschool families.  You may or may not have noticed that most of my articles are focused on homeschooling and not the large array of topics I used to write about.  I think specializing in a single expertise area I am passionate about will make a difference, whether I continue to make money writing, or move to counseling.

© WWW.AHERMITT.COM